The Clean Energy Means Business Corporate Summit features two-days of high-level conference content, with a crash-course Corporate Renewables Workshop on Day One and Leadership Business Summit on Day Two. Conference sessions are designed to provide business leaders with tangible, and actionable insights with expert speakers from the corporate sector and clean energy sectors.
Workshop: November 7th
Corporate Renewables Workshop
Event Registration Opens
1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Exhibit Area Open
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Solar Electricity 101: Learn The Basics of How Solar Works
Participants will learn how solar cells turn sunlight into electricity and how different types of solar cells (such as silicon, thin film and bi-facial) work. The differences between photovoltaic and solar thermal will be covered, along with ways to judge different products. Options for installing solar, including ground-mounted and rooftop, will be reviewed.
- Kate Collardson, Solar Services Manager, CertainTeed Solar
2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Energy Management 101
How to read an energy bill and impact the bottom line by going solar. Participants will understand how going solar affects energy bills, and how different rate structures allocate charges. The session will cover demand charges and how they are calculated, consumption charges by kilowatt hour (kWh) and how different rate structures affect what happens when solar energy is added. The session will provide an in-depth look at energy costs and how adding solar impacts those costs.
- John Shaw, Commercial Project Developer, Namaste Solar
3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
3:15 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.
Steps to a Solar Project Construction: Solar Project Construction, Operations, & Maintenance
The session will cover all the aspects of developing a solar project, from selecting a project developer or installer, to understanding the steps involved. The session will cover feasibility studies, design, interconnection and permitting details, installation timelines and quality review, permission to operate and commissioning. The need for operations and maintenance when a project is complete will also be reviewed.
- Nick Perugini, Solar Consultant and Advisor, New Energy Colorado and COSEIA Board Member
4:15 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.
Financing for your project: Understanding Financial Options and Payback Terms
The session will provide an understanding of options, incentives and paybacks, from requesting a solar proposal through realizing financial benefits. Participants will learn different templates for understanding payback, return on investment and net present value. Options such as loans, leases, PPAs and PACE will be described, along with tax incentives and ways to use tax liability to reduce the cost of the project. Understanding the many options available will allow participants to make the best choice for long term sustainability.
- Shaun Laughlin, VP - Channel Sales, Standard Solar
Corporate Clean Energy Summit
Opening keynote with amy parsons
5:15 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Moving Towards 100% Clean Energy Keynote
- Introduction: Jesse Grossman, CEO, Soltage
- Market Update: Kevin Haley, Business Renewables Center
- Keynote Speaker: Amy Parsons, Executive Vice Chancellor, Colorado State University System
Summit Opening Reception
6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Summit: November 8th
corporate leadership clean energy summit
7:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.
Registration Open & Breakfast Networking
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Clean Energy Visionaries Keynote
The Clean Energy Visionaries Keynote will feature companies whose leadership has shown corporations throughout the United States and in the Mountain West the advantages of clean energy. In an increasingly competitive business environment, some of the most well-run and efficient companies are turning to clean energy solutions for a variety of reasons to stay competitive. From large corporations to small local business, U.S. businesses are making significant investments in clean energy solutionsto cut energy costs. Clean energy solutions allowbusinesses of all sizes and in a range of industries to lower their energy expenditures, fix operating costs, and position their companies for success. This Keynote session will explore why companies are choosing clean energy solutions and why their companies are committed a clean energy vision.
- Mike Eckhart, Managing Director, Global Head of Environmental Finance and Sustainability, Citi
- Lauren V. Smith, Project Manager - Renewable Energy Portfolio, General Motors
- Dana Villeneuve, Sustainability Specialist and Employee Owner, New Belgium Brewing Company
- Clayton Mitchell, Kaiser Permanente
9:00 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
Session 1: Effectively Managing Energy Costs and Risks
Energy costs are one of the largest costs outside of payroll for many companies. This session will focus on understanding the costs and risks of constantly fluctuating electricity prices.
- Julie Blunden, Board of Directors, CalCEF, and former Executive at SunPower, SunEdison, and Green Mountain Energy
- Brody Wilson, Site Energy Coordinator, IBM
- Mike Constantine, CEO, TrueLight Energy
- Andrew Browning, Executive Vice President, Consumers Energy Alliance
9:45 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Session 2: Financial and Other Benefits of Clean Energy Projects
Why are CFOs are increasingly turning to clean energy solutions to manage their bottom line and mitigate financial risks?
- Jerry Bloom, Partner, Winston & Strawn LLP
- Alex Blackmer, CEO, Solaris Energy
- Andy Smith, Global Sustainability Manager, Cisco Systems
- General Motors
10:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
11:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Session 3: Managing and Reducing Demand Charges
Demand charges can be a significant portion of the electricity bill and this session will explore ways to reduce demand charges and effectively manage energy bills
- David Petroy, Director New Business Development and Sustainability, Golden Aluminum
- Brad Queen, Principal, Cube Resources
- Doug Barndt, Manager Demand Side Energy - Sustainability, Ball Corporation
- Ellen Howe, Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Development, JLM Energy
11:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Session 4: Turning Tax Bills into Equity Returns
This session will explore how corporations are investing in clean energy solutions to reduce tax bills and receive equity.
- Amanda Rosenberg, Norton Rose Fulbright
- Chris Roetheli, Vice President of New Business Initiatives, U.S. Bancorp
Ben Snydacker, Senior Manager - National Tax: Cleantech/Renewable Energy, Ernst & Young
David Eisenbud, Head of Solar M&A, Current powered by GE
12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
1:30 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
Session 5: Offsite Clean Energy Solutions for Facilities
In many cases, clean energy solutions are a challenge to locate onsite due to various factors including space constraints, roof issues, shade, orientation and building ownership structure. This session will discuss opportunities to implement offsite clean energy solutions.
- Jeff Cramer, Executive Director, Coalition for Community Solar Access
- Kenny Romero, Demand Side Management & Renewable Energy Manager, Colorado Springs Utilities
- Alex Drake, Director of Market Development, Cypress Creek Renewables
- Rick Hunter, CEO, Microgrid Energy
- Chris Myers, Project Manager - Sustainability, FedEx
2:15 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Session 6: Being a Good Corporate CitiSun Makes Good Business
How to maximize the branding impact and connect with customers and employees when going solar.
- Nick Perugini, Board President, Solar CitiSuns
- Catherine Zummer, Training and Development Specialist, Organic India
Collin Tomb, Business Sustainability Specialist, Boulder County
Kristen Taddonio, Program Manager, Compact of Colorado Communities
3:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
3:30 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.
Session 7: Expectations in Finding a Development Partner
Once a company makes the decision to adopt clean energy, leaders need a clear path forward to implement their decision. This session will explore some of the ways to move forward, how to evaluate service providers and considerations to account for in the decision-making process.
- James Lang, CFO and Co-founder, Energesco Solutions
- Billi McCullough, Partner, Holland & Hart
- Kai Abelkis, Sustainability Manager, Boulder Community Health
- Craig Konz, Client Delivery Manager, Strategic Renewables, Renewable Choice Energy
4:15 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Wrap up Networking with Clean Energy Means Business Corporate Award
Join us for the inaugural Clean Energy Means Business - Corporate Award. These awards will recognize business leadership and innovation in Clean Energy Leadership in the Mountain West.